April 28th, 2021 – From Monday May 9th to Thursday May 12th, the LIRR will be performing Sperry Testing on the Montauk Branch from Sayville to Montauk. As a result, train service on the Montauk branch will be out of service between approximately Babylon and Montauk each evening from 10:40pm until 3:30am the next day. Please see the below for more details. Previously scheduled work between Monday, May 2nd and Thursday May 5th has been postponed.
Additionally, every night during this outage we will performing drainage work in Sayville and Patchogue, which will result in intermittent grade crossing closures in the area. Please see the below for more details
SPERRY TESTING – SAYVILLE TO MONTAUK
- From approximately 10:40pm to 3:30am on Monday May 9th to Thursday May 12, the Montauk branch will be out of service between Babylon and Montauk due to Sperry Rail Testing.
- This is part of the annual track maintenance program which ensures LIRR infrastructure is in a state of good repair
- Eastbound customers will detrain at either Babylon or Patchogue and board buses to their final destinations, they will experience up to 1 hour and 15 minutes of additional travel time, depending on destination.
- Westbound customers will board buses up to 1 hour and 15 minutes earlier than normal train times for Patchogue or Babylon, where train service will resume.
- Part of Sperry testing involves catching defects in the rail, and when possible LIRR crews will address these on site. As such, while the Sperry train itself does not cause much noise, any potential remedial work that is undertaken will, so there could be extra noise in the vicinity of our outage.
- Please check the LIRR website to view all of the schedule changes.
- LIRR will also be performing drainage work in Sayville and Patchogue which will result in intermittent grade crossing closures at the following locations:
- McConnell Ave
- Oakwood Ave
- Snedicor Ave
- Bayport Ave
- Gillette Ave
- Atlantic Ave
- River Ave
- MTAPD will be on site to assist with all grade crossing closures and LIRR have communicated this work with all relevant first responders in the area.
- This work will involve several work engines and will be noisy/disruptive to any residents in the immediate vicinity.
*Work is weather dependent, dates are subject to change to take advantage of favorable conditions.
For more information, please visit www.mta.info/lirr.