October 3rd, 2022 – The LIRR will perform Sperry Rail testing and track maintenance on the Montauk Branch from Babylon to Montauk each night from October 3rd–7th, and again from the 10th–14th, from 9:45pm to 4:30am. As a result, train service on the Montauk branch will be out of service overnight between Babylon and Montauk. Please see the below for more details.
SPERRY TESTING – BABYLON TO MONTAUK
- From approximately 9:45pm each night to 3:30am the next morning on Monday October 3rd–Friday October 7th, and again from Monday October 10th–Friday October 14th, the Montauk branch will be out of service between Babylon and Montauk due to Sperry Rail Testing and train maintenance.
- This is part of the annual track maintenance program which ensures infrastructure is in a state of good repair.
- All train service will be replaced by buses in both directions between Babylon and Montauk. Passengers can expect an additional hour and fifteen minutes of approximate travel time in either direction.
- Part of Sperry testing involves catching defects in the rail, and when possible, crews will address these on site. As such, while the Sperry train itself does not cause much noise, any potential remedial work that is undertaken may cause extra noise in the vicinity of the outage.
- View all schedule changes: Click Here
*Work is weather dependent, dates are subject to change to take advantage of favorable conditions.