July 22nd, 2022 – TIslip Town Supervisor Angie Carpenter and Town Officials joined members of the Exchange Ambulance of the Islips for the groundbreaking of their new headquarters. The larger facility is now centrally located within the community at 100 Carleton Ave, and will allow the Exchange to house their expanding fleet indoors.
The Exchange Ambulance last moved into a new facility in 1990, and in the 32 years since has seen call volumes rise as much as 170 percent. Now with over 100 volunteers, 25 staff members, five ambulances, two first response vehicles and several support vehicles, the new headquarters will allow the Exchange to keep up growth alongside the expanding community. The larger facility will also provide the space to conduct required and continued training for volunteers and staff in-house, without the need to travel and outsource to other agencies.
“The Exchange Ambulance of the Islips has truly been an invaluable resource to our Town residents, providing Emergency Medical Services to Islip, East Islip, Islip Terrace and Great River since 1951. The new headquarters will be instrumental in allowing them to continuing to provide excellent pre-hospital emergency care to our residents in a timely fashion,” said Supervisor Angie Carpenter.
At the ground breaking, the Supervisor Carpenter was joined by Islip Town Board Members, Councilman James P. O’Connor, Councilman John C. Cochrane, Jr. and Councilwoman Mary Kate Mullen; Robert Stadelman, Vice-President of the Exchange Ambulance; Christian Brown, Chief of the Exchange Ambulance; Suffolk County Legislator Steve Flotteron; DPW Commissioner Thomas Owens; Islip Town Engineer Chris Poelker; and representatives from H2M, the primary contractor on the project, along with many dedicated members of the Exchange Ambulance.
“We cannot thank the members of the Exchange Ambulance enough for their unwavering commitment and service,” added Supervisor Carpenter.