Town Square







A Message from the Supervisor

“Welcome to Islip, the 3rd largest town in New York State, but with an endearing small town feel. We are so proud of our town…our beaches, golf courses, marinas, parks, housing opportunities for all, businesses, industrial parks, healthcare and educational institutions including our own Islip MacArthur Airport that provides many job opportunities. I sincerely hope you find this website helpful.” Angie


Northport V.A. Medical Center
79 Middleville Road Northport, NY 11768
Telephone (631) 261-4400

LIJ/Northwell/Northport V.A. Medical Center United Behavior Health Center for Military Veterans and their Families
132 Main Street, Bay Shore, NY 11706
Telephone 631-754-7978

United Veterans Beacon House
1715 Union Boulevard, Bay Shore, NY
Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Executive Director- Frank Amalfitano- Vietnam Veteran Offers a variety of free assistance to Veterans, including but not limited to, housing, food, clothing, transportation to and from Northport V.A. Hospital. Call to schedule an appointment

PFC Joseph R. Dwyer Project
is a support service group run by Veterans for Veterans. Veterans suffering from Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) can receive assistance through this project. For more information, call 631-672-1201 or 853-VETS or e-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

THE SUPPORTIVE SERVICES FOR VETERANS FAMILIES PROGRAM (SSVF), a critical element of the VA’s plan to prevent and end Veteran homelessness, delivers short-term rapid re-housing and homeless prevention services to homeless and at-risk Veterans and their families. Program services are designed to promote long-term housing stability and include outreach, care coordination, home finding, assistance in obtaining VA and other public benefits, and making financial assistance payments on behalf of Veterans for purposes such as rent payments, utility payments, security deposits, and moving costs. For more information, please contact Services for the Underserved at 1-855 -787-7555 or
Download more information by clicking here.

Veterans Benefits and Assisted Living:

1 (844) 759-0108

Building Homes For Heros
65 Roosevelt Ave., Suite 105, Valley Stream, NY
Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Mortgage Home Affordable Program/Mortgage Assistance: If you are unemployed and depending on your situation MHA’s Home Affordable Unemployment Program may reduce your mortgage payments to 31 percent of your income or suspend them altogether for 12 months or more. For more information- 

9-1-1 Veterans, Serving Long Island Veterans
P.O. Box 911
Lindenhurst, NY 11757
Tel:(516) 443-0006

Suffolk County United Veterans- Bringing Our Vets Home
128 Main Street
Yaphank, NY 11980
Tel: 631-924-8088 x15056

Suffolk Police Veterans Association - The Suffolk Police Veterans Association has the mission of fostering fraternity between all members of law enforcement who work or reside in Suffolk County and have served in the Unites States Armed Forces. The Suffolk Police Veterans Association also provides support and assistance to Veterans and Veterans’ Organizations through various community service projects, For more information, please contact 631-834-8057 or

Make It Count Foundation
"Good people helping good people” giving back to heroes who have served our country for our freedom. For more information contact 1-866-4-you-to-count (1-866-496-8226) or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. 

Long Island State Veterans Home at Stony Brook University
Stony Brook University Campus
Long term skilled nursing care/short term rehabilitation/dementia care & Palliative care
Adult Day Health Care- 1-800-DAY-CARE

NYS DEPARTMENT OF Education: Diploma for Operation Recognition”
Contact the NYS Education Department at 518-474-8940 or visit

The New York Department of Motor Vehicles would no longer require road tests for Veterans applying for commercial driver’s licenses if they drove trucks and heavy equipment during their military service. Active duty military and New York National Guard members with valid driver licenses can apply for the waivers up to 90 days after discharge.

New York VET License Plates- NYS Department of Motor Vehicle
Custom Plate Gallery-Military and Veterans

Eligible Vehicles: All vehicles that are registered in NYS as a passenger class vehicle or as a commercial class vehicle are eligible. (Note: Commercial plates must be display the word, “COMMERICAL”.) Certain custom plates are available for Motorcycles that are registered in NYS.

Eligible Persons: Applicants are required to provide a copy of their DD214 or discharge papers or other proof that he or she is a veteran. An organization can require you to prove that you are eligible to use the organization picture plates. Certain organization picture plates must be ordered through the organization or the Custom Plates Unit only.

How to Order: Custom plates can normally be ordered online, but certain picture plates require proof or certification and must be ordered through the Custom Plates Unit or the organization. For more information regarding fees and hot to order contact your local NYS Department of Motor Vehicle office or go to

The requirement in Suffolk County for Civil Service exams is that a waiver of fee’s are offered to honorably discharged veterans upon the submission of a valid copy of a DD-214. It does not have a 90 day requirement attached to it.

If a service member is deployed at the time that an exam is offered they are eligible to sit for that exam within six (6) months of their return or separation from service provided they have documentation (orders or DD-214) of their deployment or assignment out of the area.

HEAP- Oil, Gas and Electric

• Suffolk County Department of Social Services P.O. Box 18100 Hauppauge, NY 11788 (631) 853-8820
• County Office for the Aging (for those over 60 years of age) -(631) 853-8326
• After hours emergency contact: DSS (631)854-9100

Citizen Energy- non D.S.S. agency 1-877-563-4645- need an application and is a one –time 50 gallon free fuel delivery. Need patience takes along time to reach someone on the telephone.

(For families of military serviceman/women who have serious medical condition)

Army Fisher House Program
U.S. Army Medical Command
2050 Worth Road, STE 22
Fort Sam Houston, TX 8234-6022
Tel: 210-221-7070/7898

Nominal service fee-is lower than other on-base lodging and much lower than off-base hotels.

For information go to

To help those who have served our country honorably live with dignity and independence. America’s VetDogs was created and incorporate to give Veterans easy access to the best services possible to improve their lives. The Veteran’s K-9 Corps is a 501©(3) not-for-profit organization founded by the Guide Dog Foundation for the Blind and serves the needs of disabled Veterans and active duty personnel. The Guide Dog Foundation has provided guide dogs and training at no cost to people who are blind or visually impaired, including Veterans.
For more information, contact America’s VetDogs at 371 East Jericho Turnpike, Smithtown, New York, telephone number: 1-866 VETDOGS (1-866-838-3647) or

A national organization that was organized to assist local groups in fighting the problem of homeless Veterans across the nation.

Suffolk County Veterans can obtain information regarding benefits and programs offered to them through Suffolk County. For further information contact Thomas Ronayne, Director of Suffolk County Veterans Service Agency at 631-853-8387 or go to Suffolk County's website for more Information.

The “Green Key Card” can only be offered to Suffolk County Residents and is free to active military serviceman/women and their families, Veterans and disabled Veterans that meet any of the requirements set forth below. The exemptions of the use of the “Green Key Card” are golf, camping reservations, golf and camping penalties. To obtain the “Green Key Card, you are to bring your proof to Green’s Creek County Park located at Clyde Street, West Sayville, New York. For more information contact 631-854-4949 or go to Suffolk County's website for more Information

Suffolk County residents must supply two (2) forms of proof of residency. One form must be a photo ID with a Suffolk County street address; it must not be a P.O. Box and it must not be expired. For a list of acceptable proof of residency please contact 631-854-4949 or go to

Active Military-
You must contact West Sayville Administration Office at 631-854-4949 to find out the proof required.

In addition to proof of residency, you must have your DD-214 form or Suffolk County Veterans Resident ID Card (SCVR ID). Disabled Veteran—In addition to proof of residency, you must have a Red, White and Blue Veterans Administration ID Card from DVA with photo saying “SERVICE CONNECTED” underneath.

New York State Veterans can obtain information about State and Federal benefits, Education, Employment, Programs, Training for employment, offered to them through New York. For further information contact 1-888-VETSNYS or go to New York State's website for more information

As there is no simple solution to finding affordable hearing aids, there are a variety of options Veterans can look into that can help.

Check Insurance:
• Check with your health insurance provider to see if it provides any hearing aid coverage;
• If you are a Medicare beneficiary, you need to know that while original Medicare (Part A and B) and Medicare supplemental policies do not cover hearing aids, some Medicare Advantage (Part C) plans do. If you have an Advantage plan, you’ll need to check with your plan administrator;
• In some states, Medicaid may cover hearing aids for people with very limited means. Your county social service office can give you more information;
• If you are a federal employee or retiree, hearing aid coverage may be available through some Insurance plans in the Federal Employees Health Benefits Program. If you are a Veteran, the Veterans Administration provides free hearing aids if you meet certain conditions such as being compensated for any serviced-connected disability or if your hearing loss is connected to military service. Call 1-877-222-8387 to check your eligibility or see //

Financial Assistance - Depending on your income level, there are various programs and foundations that provide financial assistance for hearing aids to people in need. Start by contacting your state rehabilitation department (see // for contact information) or the nearest chapter of the Hearing Loss Association of America (// to find out if there are any city, county or state programs, or local civic organizations that could help. There are also a number of non-profits that offer hearing aids at significantly discounted prices or for free. Some good ones to check out include:

HEAR Now: sponsored by the Starkey Hearing Foundation (//, 1-800-328-8602), this program provides hearing aids for people with net incomes below $19,058 for a single or $25,743 for couples. The only costs are a hearing test and an application fee of $125 per hearing aid request;
Lions Affordable Hearing Aid Project: Offered through some Lions clubs throughout the U.S. this program provides the opportunity to purchase new, digital hearing aids manufactured by Rexton for $200 per aid, plus shipping. To be eligible, most clubs will require your income to be somewhere below 200% of the federal poverty level which is $22,340 for singles or $30,260 for couples. Contact your local Lions club to see if they participate in this project. To find a nearby Lions club, click the Find a Club link at the top of the page at // From the Find a Club home page type the club name or a nearby city name in the search box, press the Enter key or click the Search button;
Sertoma: A civic service organization that runs a recycling program through its 500 clubs nationwide, refurbishes them and distributes them to local people in need. Call 1-800-593-5646 or visit // to locate a club in your area; and This program (// Tel: 1-866-956-5400) helps people purchase new, digital hearing aids at reduced prices ranging from $495 to $975 for one hearing aid or $990 to $1,575 for a pair. To be eligible, your income must be below $27,075 for a single or $36,425 for couples. For a list or more programs, visit the Better Hearing Institute website at // and click on “Hearing Loss Resources”, then on “Financial Assistance” or call the National Institute of Deafness and Other communication Disorders at 1-800-241-1044 and ask them to mail you their list of financial resources for hearing aids.

Offers to New York State Veterans who has a disability and a Certification from the United States Veterans Administration or the New York State Division of Veterans Affairs that the applicant is a Veterans of the Wars of the United States with a 40% or greater service connected disability as certified by the United States Veterans Administration, or who has at any time been awarded by the Federal Government an allowance towards the purchase of an automobile or who is eligible for such an award a free ACCESS PASS to the New York State Parks, historic sites and recreational facilities operated by the New York State Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation and the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation. For more information contact the Long Island Region Office at (631) 669-1000 or go to and The Long Island Region Office is located next to the Belmont Park, West Babylon, New York Exit 37 North off the Southern State Parkway.

New York established the Patriot Plan for active military servicemen and women. The New York State Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservations participates in the Patriot Plan by offering one “FREE” Empire Passport annually that may be used by current active service members and their immediate families. The Empire Passport , which is valid from April 1st through to the following March 31st of each year, provides unlimited day use vehicle entry to most New York State as well as Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) forest preserve areas, state boat launch sites and other state recreational facilities. To obtain the free Empire Passport the active military servicemen and women should obtain an ordinary Empire Passport application, attach a copy of the orders calling the service person to active duty and mail or email it to the Albany Office at PASSPORT, NYS Parks, Albany, NY 12238 or click on Empire Passport. For further information, please call: 1-518-474-0458.

The Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) furnishes upon request, at no charge to the applicant, a Government headstone or marker for the unmarked grave of any deceased eligible Veteran in any cemetery around the world, regardless of their date of death. For eligible Veterans that died on or after November 1, 1990 and whose grave is marked with a privately purchased headstone, VA may also furnish a headstone or marker to supplement the graves or a Medallion to be affixed to the privately purchased headstone. Flat markers in granite, marble, and bronze and upright headstones in granite and marble are available. Bronze niche markers are also available to mark columbaria used for inurnment of cremated remains. The style chosen must be permitted by the officials in charge of the private cemetery where it will be placed.

For more information:
When burial or memorialization is in a National cemetery, State Veterans’ cemetery, or Military post/base cemetery, a headstone or marker will be ordered by the cemetery officials based on inscription information provided by the next of kin or authorized representative.

Blue Star Mothers of America Inc.
Long Island NY Chapter #6
Supporting Sons & Daughters of the US Military
Meetings held on Thursday at 8:00pm
At the American Legion Hall Sayville
23 Foster Avenue, Sayville, NY 11782


The Department of Labor launched My Next Move for Veterans, an online resource that allows Veterans to enter their military occupation code and discover civilian occupations for which they are qualified.

Veterans Job Bank, a National Resource Directory, which helps Veterans find job posting from companies looking to hire them


VA for Vets facilitates the reintegration, retention and hiring of Veteran employees at the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). They offer career-search tools for Veterans seeking employment at VA, career development services for existing Veterans, and coaching and reintegration support for military service members. It offers the most thorough military skills translation and career matching services for Veterans seeking employment. For more information:


There is no doubt that care-giving can be a challenging job, but you can get the help you need from emotional reassurance to suggestions for getting help. If you need additional assistance, call VA’s Caregiver Support Line (1-855-260-3274) or go online at

If a Veteran served in the military for ninety (90) continuous days during war time, that Veteran may be entitled to approximately $1750 for home health care. The Veteran’s spouse, or surviving spouse, may be entitled to $1056 a month of home health care.

This benefit is:
· Tax free and there is no cost to the Veteran
· Paid by the Department of Veterans Affairs.
· For non-service connected disability and the veteran did not have to be in a war zone.

For more information contact: Brother Mel Shapiro Senior Helpers 1-954-260-9655


The National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) does not issue service medals; that is a function of each military service department. Requests for the issuance or replacement of military service medals, decorations and awards should be directed to the specific branch of the military in which the Veteran served. The request must include the Veteran’s name, rank, years of service, if possible, a copy of the Veteran’s DD214. If a next of kin is submitting the request, the request must indicate that the next of kin is the Estate representative of the deceased Veterans, provide a copy of the Veteran’s death certificate. Use the addresses listed below and mail your request accordingly.


Where to write for medals:

National Personnel Records Center
1 Archives Drive
St. Louis, NO 63138

Where medals are mailed from:

Clothing and Heraldry (PSID)
P.O. Box 57997
Philadelphia, PA 1911-7997

Where to write in case of a problem
Or an Appeal:

U.S. Army Human Resources Command
Soldier Program and Services Division-
Awards and Decorations Branch
1600 Spearhead Division Avenue, Dept. 480
Fort Knox, KY 40122-5408

AIR FORCE (includes Army Air Corp & Army Air Forces)

Where to write for medals:

National Personnel Records Center
1 Archives Drive
St. Louis, NO 63138

Where medals are mailed from:

Active Duty Veterans
Headquarters Air Force
Personnel Center
AFPC/DPPPR 550 C Street West, Suite 12
Randolph AFB, TX 78150-4714

Where to write in case of a problem
Or an Appeal:

Reserve & Air Guard Veterans
Air Reserve personnel Center
18420 E. Silver Creek Avenue, Bldge. 390
MS 68 Buckley AFB, CO 80011


Where to write for medals and where
medals are mailed from:

Navy Personnel Command
Liaison Office Room 350
1 Archives Drive
St. Louis, NO 63138

Where to write in case of a problem

Or an Appeal:

Chief of Naval Operations
(OPNAV 09B33)
Awards & Special Projects
Washington, DC 20350-2000


Where to write for medals and where
medals are mailed from:

Navy Personnel Command
Liaison Office Room 350
1 Archives Drive
St. Louis, NO 63138

Where to write in case of a problem
Or an Appeal:

Commandant of the Marine Corps.
Military Awards Road
Quantico, VA 22134-5100


Where to write for medals and where
medals are mailed from:

Navy Personnel Command
Liaison Office Room 350
1 Archives Drive
St. Louis, NO 63138

Where to write in case of a problem
Or an Appeal:

Commandant U.S. Coast Guard
Medals and Awards Branch
Washington, DC 20593-0001

For more information contact the U.S. National Archives and Records Administration at 1-866-272-6272 or

Montgomery G.I. Bill-Education and Training:
NYS Tuition Award: // 


National Crisis Hotline: 1-800-273-TALK (8255)
Veterans Crisis Chat:

VETS 4 WARRIORS - Confidential Military Support By Veterans.

//  or 1-855-VET-TALK (838-8255)

While our mission is to serve military and Veterans, we are a separate organization outside of the military. We are also separate from the Veterans Administration. We don't discuss your calls with the military, the VA, or anyone else; your calls to us are completely confidential and, if you choose, you may remain anonymous. Our staff will listen and not judge you for anything. If you want to just talk, we will support that. If you need some information, we can help you find it. Our deal is to partner with you on your quest and do our best to help you succeed.

Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America:

Under member resources, there is the Community of Veterans which is a social network exclusively for veterans who served in Iraq and Afghanistan

War Related Injury and Illness Study center:

VA OEF/OIF/OND Website: // 


• Trouble Adjusting to Home Life-
• Food Stamps, 1-800-342-3009
• Touro Law- Free Veterans’ and Servicemembers’ Rights Clinic
• Hofstra Law Schools - Free Veterans legal assistance clinic. For more information, please contact This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. or call 516-463-7302.
560 Wheeler Road
Hauppauge, NY 11788-4357
Tel: 631-234-5511 EXT 231
When calling, please state the nature of the legal service required and that you are a Veteran. Please note that during the first interview with counsel, you will have to provide documentation asserting that you are a Veteran.

The information provided is for information purposes only and the Town of Islip makes no representation as to the accuracy, qualifications or the application process of the outside services or programs offered that are not governed by the Town of Islip.