Town of Islip Supervisor Angie Carpenter has declared a State of Emergency as of 3:00 PM Friday, January 28th, ahead of the forecasted blizzard expected to impact the Islip area from 7 PM TONIGHT to 7 PM SATURDAY, January 29th.
- Snow accumulations of 11 to 15 inches are expected in our area, with winds gusting as high as 50 mph.
- Residents should plan for very difficult, if not impossible travel conditions. White out conditions are likely.
- Gusty winds could potentially bring down tree branches.
- Town crews and snow plows are prepped and are standing at the ready.
- We ask residents to move vehicles OFF roadways, so that plows and emergency vehicles can pass safely.
During a state of emergency, residents are reminded that it is a violation of Town Code to leave a vehicle on the road while the state of emergency is in effect. Vehicles left on the road may be ticketed and/or towed.
Please move your car off the road and into your driveway or onto your lawn. You CAN park on your lawn during a state of emergency.
Leaving your car on the road is a potential danger to your vehicle and the safety of the plow operator, and is inconsiderate to those who are doing the right thing to the ensure roadways are adequately plowed.
- To report and receive status updates on an outage Text OUT to PSEGLI (773454) or to report an outage online visit www.psegliny.com
- To register have your account number available and Text REG to PSEGLI (773454)
- Follow PSEG Long Island on Facebook and Twitter to report an outage and for updates before, during and after the storm
- Downed wires should always be considered “live.” Do not approach or drive over a downed line and do not touch anything contacting the wire. To report a downed wire call PSEG Long Island’s 24-hour Electric Service number: 1-800-490-0075
- Visit PSEG Long Island’s outage map to view outage information across Long Island and the Rockaways at https://outagemap.psegliny.com
- Make sure everyone in the family is prepared and knows what to do if there is an emergency. Visit https://www.psegliny.com/page.cfm/Home/Safety to learn about safety tips from Sesame Street, YouTube safety videos and more
- Long Island NYS run COVID test sites will be CLOSED Saturday, January 29.
- Town of Islip Senior Centers will be closed Monday, January 31. Regularly scheduled meals will be delivered, and staff will be reaching out via telephone to check on seniors.
- The Multi-purpose Recycling Facility, Hauppauge Landfill and MacArthur Compost Facility will be closed to the public Monday, January 31. The facilities will be open again on Tuesday, February 1st at 7:00a.m. Please contact the DEC offices at (631) 595-3630 should you have any questions.